Do you remember when you were in grade school and you just didn't want to go to school that day? At that time, you didn't have a choice. You wen to school that day. Well, unless you are 13 and reading this, you likely do not have to go to school today. When we were younger, although we had some choices, the majority of them were made for us by our parents. At that time, we were learning the made up rules on living in this culture. Here are the typical rules most of us learned.
- Go to school
- Go to college
- Finish college
- Get job
- Get Married
- Buy House
- Have 2.5 kids
- Take care of aging parents
- Be taken care of by your kids when you age
- Shuffle off this mortal coil
Now, in this day and age, we are able to make many more choices than what was offered to us.And, we don't have to live our lives by those guidelines. However, many of us unconsciously agree upon these made up rules on what we should do with our lives.
To help you see that there are so many choices, you need to educate yourself on what's available. Here are some simple and fun things you can do to spice up your life. (It's your choice!)
- Try a new restaurant this week (Thai food, Mexican, Chinese, something other than burgers)
- Check out the Religious Tolerance website to learn about another religion
- Go to our local library and walk down the aisles randomly. Pick out a book on a random subject and take it home
- Check out your local community college to see what they offer. Continuing Education or Personal Enrichment courses are usually short and cheap. Try something new!
- Volunteer to help out at a local shelter. Imagine life through these people's eyes.
- Get in your car, fill up the tank, pick a direction and DRIVE!
- Visit some of the places in your own town that tourists frequent.
- Watch programs about other cultures.
- Be willing to learn something new.
Many of us get stuck in the same old rut. One of the best ways to do that is realize all the choices you have. And the best way to do that is to educate yourself. Get involved! Enjoy life and realize you have tons of choices, choices, choices!