It's a fact; sometimes we will have cloudy days. You wake up, you won't want to do anything. Perhaps everything seems pointless. Why did you even bother getting out of bed? Who do you think you are kidding anyway? You'll never get anywhere.
Yes, these thoughts can put a damper on our creative spirit, but they come with the territory. Being creative takes courage. Courage to be different, courage to try something that may have no guarantee. This is all part of the process.
What to do if you are in the grip of a cloudy depressing mind set?
- Take a break.
- Go for a walk.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Eat some chocolate.
- Call your mom.
- Play with some kids.
- Read the news (there's always someone worse off out there).
- Learn something.
- Journal about it.
- Take a nap.
Take note of where you are in your creative process. Are you starting a new step that you've never done before? Is there anything that triggered this crappy mood?
- Did someone tell you that artists make no money?
- Did someone criticize your work?
- Are your friends doing better than you are in their craft, but you feel like you put in more work?
- Are there no jobs in your field?
- Does your goal seem like it's going to take forever?
- Have you been staying in doors for too long?
- Do you get any exercise?
- Have you been keeping to yourself?
There are many reasons you could be having a bad day. But like clouds, it too shall pass and the sun will eventually come shining through. There are ups and downs in life. You wouldn't appreciate the ups if not for the downs.
Sometimes you are just having a bad day. But you do matter, your creativity matters, your dreams matter. It may not feel like it right now, but you are important. Tomorrow is another day.