Sometimes we need to just take some time off. There is a difference between being stuck, feeling blah, and just overworking ourselves. Oftentimes when I'm working on a new project, design idea, or song, I keep myself up at night. Yes while I enjoy the release I get from creating, my brain doesn't always stop thinking of the next thing.
Of course not getting enough sleep will start to take its toll and before I know it, I'm burnt out. Worse yet, my creative well starts to run dry.
Some signs you make need to take time off to refill the well.
- You aren't sleeping well.
- Creating isn't fun anymore.
- Your mind is never in the present moment.
- You are feeling more than blocked and stuck.
- Or, you have plenty of great ideas, but no energy to implement them.
- Everything seems boring and "already done before".
- You are in a hurry to create, make money, change careers, get famous NOW.
Most of us know when we need to refill our creative well. On the other hand, we can be so caught up in our head comparing and analyzing that we lose touch with the present moment.
Today take some time off and have fun. Go to the movies. Be spontaneous. Go for a walk. Get out and move.
Creating takes time and energy. Stop being hard on yourself for not being where you think you should be. It's a process. One that will have lots of rest stops on the way. So, don't forget to take time off and refill the well.